I caved and read this book.
This book had a lot going wrong for it, but I couldn’t put it down. Point form!
– The writing was extremely simple. Ana is a literary student, yet her vocabulary is limited to“holy shit!” and Christian tends to growl and murmur quite a bit.
– The parallels to Twilight were obvious: Jacob is now Jose, Ana gets saved from being run over by a bike, and controlling Edward gets turned up a few notches. Oh, and his stalker tendencies are through the roof!
– The sex scenes were good. This might be partly due to the simple writing which allows the imagination to go crazy.
– I was really intrigued by Christian Grey’s character. He has a dark past and the curious girl in me wanted to know what was going on. He said it is why he is messed up, and since I love me some good ol’ psychology, I gotta know. Most of my reading was propelled with this curiosity. He seems like a really vulnerable guy.
– Ana got some 1st edition books as a gift. I was really envious.
– This book is about lust, not love. It implies that first experiences = a signal that you are in love.
– Like Twilight, this was a huge guilty pleasure.
– There wasn’t enough kink. It felt really tame and I was bored through some of it. Some scenes were good, but when they were actually happening I found myself being bored. The anticipation was what was good.
– Ana and Christian exchange emails at some point. For each email, they change the subject heading. Who does that? I don’t know about you, but when I reply to someone, the subject line usually looks like this: “RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE Sunday Plans?”
– Ana is a graduate in the English lit program. Yet, she has never used a MacBook or email. She doesn’t surf the internet or masturbate. WHERE DID THIS DEFECTIVE ROBOT COME FROM? Only authors could come up with a character like that.
I want to read the rest of the books in this series for these reasons:
– to find out what the deal is with Christian Grey’s past
– to see how kinky this book can get, or if it will still feel tame
– to see what Ana’s job is like.